Jasmine Harman issues heartbroken statement after A Place in the Sun guest dies in Spanish wildlfires
A Place in the Sun presenter Jasmine Harman has expressed her heartbreak following news that a former guest on the Channel 4 property programme is presumed to have died in the devastating Spanish wildfires.
Annette Kilgore, 69, who featured on the show alongside her husband Malcolm Timbrell in 2023, is feared to be among those killed when flames tore through the village of Bédar in Almeria province last Thursday.
Ms Harman, who has presented the programme since 2004, posted a tribute on Instagram offering her sympathies to the widower.
“Sending deepest condolences to those have lost loved ones. Especially to Malcolm who previously appeared with his wife Annette on A Place in the Sun,” she wrote.
“I don’t really have the words to say how very sorry I am for your loss Malcolm. I know we have never met, I can’t imagine what you are going through right now. Sending thoughts and prayers.”
Ms Harman’s followers and fellow A Place in the Sun fans flocked to the comments of the post to echo her thoughts.
“I only watched that episode the other day. So very sad,” one fan typed, while a second added: “So terribly sad, we drove through one of the areas today and saw the devastation.”
Meanwhile, a third said: “I watched that episode. Absolutely devastating for everyone in Spain, particularly Malcolm who lost his beloved wife. Thinking of you and may she RIP.”
Annette Kilgore and Malcolm Timbrell featured on A Place in the Sun in 2023
|
CHANNEL 4
And a fourth reached out: “Thank you Jasmine for conveying your kind thoughts x.” (sic)
The couple had relocated to the picturesque Andalucían village from Cornwall after discovering their ideal property through the programme, with presenter Leah Charles-King guiding their search.
During filming, Ms Kilgore spoke of her eagerness to embrace Spanish life following retirement from a lengthy career in mental health services.
“It’s not as commercialised, it’s smaller areas of villages, so it just seemed the perfect place,” she explained at the time.
Jasmine Harman has paid tribute on Instagram
|
GETTY
The pair secured a traditional stone cottage perched on a mountainside for £200,000, having initially offered £175,000 before negotiations settled on their final budget.
Upon completing the purchase, Ms Kilgore reflected: “We’ve just bought that beautiful Spanish stone cottage up on the top of a mountain. And that isn’t what we came for? It’s what we’ve bought, because it’s what we fell in love with.”
Mr Timbrell, 70, has recounted the horrifying moments when he became separated from his wife as the inferno engulfed their neighbourhood.
The couple had initially planned to escape by vehicle, but he returned to retrieve their two cats. When he attempted to rejoin the group, he witnessed them abandoning their cars to flee on foot.
The village of Bedar bore the brunt of the wildfires, with burnt-out cars seen scattered across roads after the blaze | REUTERS
“My wife and our other seven friends and neighbours – against me screaming at them not to – decided the only safe way was to walk out in front of the firewall,” he told the BBC.
“I’ve subsequently heard that that firewall was moving at 20 kilometres per hour, plus. They had no chance.”
Mr Timbrell managed to survive by taking shelter in a succession of abandoned vehicles with one of the cats, moving from car to car as each was consumed by flames.
Speaking to the BBC, Mr Timbrell reflected on the life he shared with his wife: “We have had an amazing life together, and now it’s stopped.”
Leah Charles-King was the A Place in the Sun host who helped the couple with their search
|
GETTY
He added: “We are just waiting now for DNA clarification. And after that, I will probably just fall apart.”
The wildfires have claimed at least 13 lives, with authorities working to identify victims through DNA testing, as many bodies were burnt beyond recognition.
A 93-year-old British woman who sustained burns to approximately 20 per cent of her body was taken to hospital on Friday and died on Sunday afternoon.
Four further British victims are believed to be among the dead after a right-hand drive vehicle containing four bodies was discovered.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with all those impacted by the devastating wildfires in Spain. We are supporting British nationals affected and their families and remain in close contact with the Spanish authorities.”
Comments are closed.