Rod Stewart, 81, steps out just days after axing tour following heart operation as he attends Celtic match
Sir Rod Stewart looked to be in fine form on Wednesday evening as he cheered on Celtic FC at Celtic Park, just nine days after revealing the heart procedure that forced him to shelve his American tour dates.
The 81-year-old rock legend was joined in the stands by his son Alastair, 20, the elder of his two boys with wife Penny Lancaster. The couple, married since 2007, are also parents to 15-year-old Aiden.
Sir Rod, a father of eight from various relationships, looked animated as he watched his beloved Hoops cruise to a convincing 3-0 Champions League playoff triumph over Austrian side LASK.
On August 11, a statement confirmed that Sir Rod had successfully undergone a routine coronary stent procedure. The process involved the insertion of a small wire tube into narrowed or blocked arteries supplying blood to the heart.
Sir Rod Stewart and son Alastair attended Celtic’s latest match
|
PA
Doctors were satisfied with his recovery and noted that the singer had already resumed his everyday routine.
However, medical advisers instructed him to take a full month away from the stage to regain complete fitness, meaning the remaining dates on his One Last Time US tour had to be scrapped. Among the casualties was a six-night run at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
Ticketholders were assured they would receive information regarding refunds or rescheduled performances.
In an Instagram post accompanying the announcement, Sir Rod conveyed his frustration at being unable to perform while also striking an optimistic tone about his recovery.
Sir Rod Stewart appeared in high spirits
|
PA
Sir Rod Stewart spoke with fellow fans at the match
|
PA
“I’m already feeling better and very much on the mend,” he wrote. “I want to thank the doctors, nurses, and everyone who has taken such wonderful care of me.”
He added: “I’m deeply disappointed to miss these shows and sorry to let my fans down, but I look forward to getting back on stage and having a good time with you all again soon.”
The veteran performer, who has been on stage for 64 years, declared last year that retirement was not on his agenda. “I was put on this earth to be a singer and will keep doing so for as long as the good lord lets me,” he told followers.
The stent procedure was not the first health setback to disrupt the singer’s schedule this summer. His Cincinnati concert in August was called off just hours before curtain, attributed to “an unforeseen but minor medical procedure that required prompt attention.”
Rod Stewart watched on as Celtin won 3-0
|
PA
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:
Rod Stewart underwent a heart operation earlier this month
|
PA
Earlier in the season, an acute upper respiratory infection that developed into laryngitis left him unable to sing, forcing another cancellation.
And during a June performance in Utah, he was compelled to pause mid-show and use an oxygen tank, telling the crowd he had nearly fainted while dancing, before completing the set from a chair.
Sir Rod also drew criticism after attending a World Cup match between Scotland and Haiti shortly after pulling out of a California gig. He later acknowledged on talkSPORT that it “wasn’t a good look” but said he had made a lifelong promise to take his sons to a World Cup.
As for the action on the pitch, Celtic delivered a commanding display to take firm control of the tie ahead of next Tuesday’s second leg in Linz.
Sir Rod Stewart is a lifelong Celtic fan
|
PA
Alastair Stewart documented his dad’s first match post-op
|
PA
Swedish forward Benjamin Nygren opened the scoring on 26 minutes with a spectacular volley into the top corner from 20 yards after a poor clearance from a Kieran Tierney cross.
Summer signing Camilo Durán then stole the show with a brilliant brace, striking an almost identical volley 12 minutes after Nygren’s opener before adding his second midway through the second half with a composed finish from inside the box.
Manager Martin O’Neill hailed Durán’s contribution as “exceptional,” describing the £4.5m signing from Qarabag as “a real bargain” who has already repaid his transfer fee.
Comments are closed.